Saturday, April 23, 2011

ARCTIC PATRIOT: MORAL HIGH GROUND=WIN

http://arcticpatriot.blogspot.com/2011/04/moral-high-ground-win.html

Moral High Ground = Win.


Solzhenitsyn 
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?" — Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (The Gulag Archipelago: 1918-1956)

I was taught to never choose to get into a fight that was not worth dying in.  This has cost me superficial social “honor” at times, but has saved me a lot of trouble.  It has also earned me respect at times, as well.  This outlook has saved me from injury and suffering for the sake of largely meaningless social violence.  If the fight isn’t worth it, I usually walk away.  If I decide to engage in a fight, it is for survival, or I have no other option remaining.  In this day and age, when people kill each other over parking places (as happened here recently), it’s often better to walk away, even if you’re armed.

I apply the same logic to our struggle for liberty, for freedom, for the principles our nation was founded on.  Is it worth it?  If it’s not really worth it, we should just walk away.  Really.  This is not a game.  If it is worth it, it is a fight that needs to be won, and everything that inhibits or works against that ultimate victory should be discarded, burned, and thrown to the ground as rubbish.  

I won’t waste your time arguing that the fight for liberty must be won, at all costs.  To me, this is self evident.  To the millions murdered under oppressive regimes in the last century, this is likely true as well.  The march of government towards total control must be slowed and pushed back, whenever possible.

I will make a statement here, and I will spend the rest of the post attempting to back it up with my reasoning.

The only possible “Moral High Ground” in a fight worth winning is victory.  Period.  

Moral High Ground = Win.   

End.

Why?

First, let me clearly and unequivocally state that I am not a moral relativist.  Then again, we all are, in a way.  I would not kill a random person on the street, but I would kill a random enemy soldier on the battlefield.  If that is moral relativism (and it is, possibly, to a degree), I am guilty.  I will illustrate this point in a few minutes again, in the text of this article.  You'll know when it happens.

What I am not saying here is that the end justifies the means.  I am saying that the end and the means are one and the same.   This is important, as I am not preaching mass murder as a means to ensure victory.  I am preaching, however, a hard message, a message that America preached in WW2’s closing days.  Sometimes, dropping an atomic weapon on civilian targets is the most moral way to go.

This is important.  Win.  In a war where losing means you are dead or enslaved (the previously referred to “war worth fighting"), losing is the least moral outcome.  Therefore, tying one’s hands in a way that impedes victory is an immoral act.

rest at the supplied link

No comments: