Wednesday, April 27, 2011


Dyer trial continues

Toni Hopper The Duncan Banner The Duncan Banner Wed Apr 27, 2011, 07:59 AM CDT

DUNCAN — During the second day in the felony trial against Charles Dyer who has been charged with child sexual abuse, the morning centered around continued testimony of his ex-wife, Valerie.

Dyer’s defense attorney David Hammond spent nearly an hour questioning Valerie about testimony she gave not only from the day before but also from a preliminary hearing held July 2010.

Testimony questioning appeared to hinge on details between the relationship between the Dyers and their daughter.

“You stated earlier when you got pregnant, he called you fat. Why did you stay with him,” Hammond asked her.

“Because I loved him,” Valerie replied.

Hammond also asked if it were true her family didn’t like Mr. Dyer, to which she said yes.

When the couple’s daughter was about six months old, Valerie told the court they went to live in Tennessee and she took a job at a Wal-Mart while Charles cared for their daughter and took classes at a college. Then the questioning switched to include their time in California to where they had moved.

At one point Hammond asked if Valerie had a conversation with Dyer’s commanding officer before a tour of duty to which he was scheduled to return to Iraq.

Dyer is a former U.S. Marine and the couple had resided in California for a few years. Hammond questioned if Valerie had a medical condition and if that interfered with Dyer’s assignment.

“He said he didn’t want to go back to Iraq and to tell the commanding officer I couldn’t be alone,” she said.

Hammond also asked Valerie detailed questions about the relationship between her husband and daughter when the child was younger, to which she indicated it appeared to be fine.

Hammond questioned Valerie about actual dates of the Christmas 2009 break and when her daughter was out of school. At that point, Valerie was visibly shaken as she looked at a calendar supplied by the court. She told the court she could not remember actual dates of the holiday break.

Several exhibits were entered, including a print out of Valerie’s Facebook page, divorce papers which Charles had given her, dated July 31, 2009.

“When was the last time Charles Dyer saw your daughter,” Hammond asked.

“The day she told me what happened,” she said.

The allegations cover a time period from July 2009 through Jan. 4, 2010.

Also introduced was a video interview of the victim at the Mary Abbott House. The interview was about 58 minutes and showed the victim discussing an incident which allegedly took place at Charles Dyer’s home on Hope Road Jan. 2, 2010.

After the video was played, attorney Jerry Herberger, who has been appointed as defense for the victim, requested of the court the courtroom be cleared of all uninterested parties — meaning those who are not legal counsel. The courtroom was cleared and the victim was brought in for testimony.

Once that was completed, the public was allowed to come back in once the victim had exited the courtroom.

Court is scheduled to reconvene with counsel at 8:30 a.m. today. The jury is scheduled to return to the courtroom at 9 a.m.

Additionally, security continued at the courthouse, with Stephens County Sheriff’s Office deputies, Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers and undercover officers stationed at the facility and around the perimeter.

— Editor’s note: Because of the sensitive issues involved and the graphic details outlined in the video interview, The Duncan Banner has chosen not to provide those details.

No comments: